Saturday, August 04, 2012

Temple Explorers Singapore

I recently (a few weeks ago) created a group on facebook called "Temple Explorers Singapore".

Here's the about on the page:

 Hi all, I'm Ng Xin Zhao and I'm currently exploring the temples in Singapore, so I might as well invite my spiritual friends along the tour. You can see each week having at least one temple. (On average) I'm looking forward to new temples that I haven't been to.

 This group is meant for those who wishes to explore more of Singapore's Buddhist Temples and Organisations. As such, almost every weekend there will be visits to Temples and Organisations in Singapore.

 The activities are mainly to join in the existing events and activities of other organisations and temples to find out if it is suitable for us. Temple tour is optional and secondary to getting the feel of the atmosphere.

 Why should you join in the ride?

 If you only know a few or one Buddhist Society or Organisation or temple, and wish to open up your border of knowledge and unstated assumptions,

 If you wish to explore other temples but don't have friends to come with you,

 If you wish to introduce your own temple to your friends, If you wish to understand other traditions of Buddhism,

 If you wish to just hanging around good and kind friends,

 If you wish to score well in the next Om quest, 

If you wish to be the next Buddhist leaders of Singapore,

 You know this group is for you!

 Of course, if you stumble upon a temple you like, you can feel free to become a regular there! No need to follow in this nomadic existence.

 If you're an existing Buddhist Committee, do carry on your work and not join this if it clashes with your own activities. We may join you later on. However, if you want to know more about how others run their activities and events first hand, then do come and join in.

 If you are totally new to Buddhism, please note that some of these tours will go to places that are not exactly beginner friendly.

 Especially do take note of the language used for a particular event.

 Ground rules:
1. Everyone of all religions are invited.
2. Travelling fee are individual responsibilities.
3. No clashing of events timing.
4. Everyone who comes along should keep an open mind to learn for themselves.

 This is because I'm in the exploring stage, having emerged from the cocoon of NUSBS, and although I represented NUSBS to visit a lot of temples and places, and I've started the idea of inviting lots of different Buddhist Organisations and Temples to Dana Lunch of NUSBS, I do think that visiting and joining in their activities is the one thing that a lot of people who's starting out in Buddhism might encounter. Well, some people started with a temple/Organisation, and then stick to it for most of their life. So if they join in this one, it's an opportunity to get to know other ways of approaching the Dharma and to expose themselves to various different stuffs.

 Anyway, so far the activities that I've been to are:


  •  Mangala Vihara Temple Visit Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 10:50am To register myself for the Diploma at Buddhist and Pali College Singapore http://www.mangalavihara.org.sg/Buddhist%20and%20Pali%20College/Diploma.html 
  •  Retracing buddha's footsteps Thursday, July 19, 2012 at 7:30pm This is one course I'm going currently, at 4/10 session now. 
  •  Abhidhamma class by Sayalay Susila Saturday, July 21, 2012 at 2:00pm One example of an event that happens to happen around that time. 
  •  Buddhism and Science Symposium IV “Growi... Sunday, July 29, 2012 at 8:30am This one is part of my interest in Science and Buddhism, but this time's topic is getting very far from Physics and Buddhism, it's more of Education, so didn't sparked my interest much. And only at the last event above was there some more people joining in. 
Well, in the following future events, more and more people are joining in too!

  •  Pa-Auk Meditation Outing: Fort Canning Sunday at 6:00pm Once a month thing that I'm thinking of committing too. 
  •  NUS Tzu Ching Welcome Tea! Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 7:00pm Joining in Tzu Chi as a member soon! 
  •  NUSBS Welcome Tea Friday, August 17, 2012 at 6:00pm Of course, my alma mater. I'm joining in more NUSBS activites too but not all are suitable to be advertised out. Like the Camp Ehi Passiko for freshmen tomorrow. 
  •  Camp Lions Workshop: The Making of a Bud... Sunday, August 26, 2012 at 8:45am Regrettably, I forgot that I'm going back to Malaysia this weekend. But it does give awareness to the people in the group about this good leadership training thing. 
  •  Joy of Living Saturday, September 1, 2012 at 9:00am $50 class, not one I would go during my time as a student. But well, now I'm exploring! Including this style of meditation!
  •  VISUDDHI MAGGA CLASSES Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:00pm I'm pretty interested in this one, haven't got the chance to read this difficult book, which apparently needs a class to teach it! 
  • Dandelion Dharma & Tulku Films, T.H.I.S.... Saturday, September 29, 2012 at 3:15pm Part of the few films I'm planning to watch at the Thus Have I Seen Film Festival! I think calling might be more effective to ask people out in this one. 
 Some other events are closed to the public but not for the people who are regulars at the temples.. I'm joining these too. Well, after the Diploma Classes started at Mangala Vihara in October, my Sundays will be restricted. And I'm planning for Postgraduate Diploma Class at Buddhist Library too! By then I'll be tied down and considered settled down. So unless the momentum for the group keeps growing, and I can appoint a successor who's in the exploring stage, the group's going down within half a year. Are you the one I'm looking for? Go to :https://www.facebook.com/groups/395157920531963/ to find the group and join in! I'll approve anyone.

No comments: